Monday, July 11, 2005

When the going gets tough...

Q. How can one maintain sattvic dhriti - fortitude, great enthusiasm and dynamism even when things are going wrong against all odds and expectations?

A. ''When the going gets tough everybody leaves, but the tough keep going!" Life is such that we cannot always insist on having our own way. Sometimes we gain the expected result; sometimes we don't. A person whose mind fluctuates constantly because of favourable and unfavourable results and who is elated one minute and dejected the next, is bound. How can a person who insists upon everything be happy? Insistence, as I mentioned earlier, should be on knowing the Truth and abiding in it. The correct attitude is - '' I have done my best, I have done everything that I could do which was within my means and reach. If now, something does not happen, I am not at fault and I am not to be blamed.'' With such an attitude, the mind remains balanced and also lives in freedom.

- Swami Tejomayananda

No comments: