Monday, March 12, 2007

Innovation - Small Vs Big

Link - Article on innovation, from Wharton

I've always pondered over the significance of the trade-off between process and innovation. Somewhere down the road, I heard some process people speak passionately about innovation in processes themselves and also about saving money (by resorting to processes rather than ad-hoc methods to accomplish tasks) and using the money thus saved for investments in innovation.

I think, in larger organizations, there is also a belief that going the Big I way can be an issue (read impractical) because of the size. They'd rather take one bite at a time. And, I also believe that large organizations, over time, end up pampering those who stick to the rules and are “loyal” while chasing away the people who are innovative and “rebellious” and want to do something revolutionary...

No comments: