This is a great post on finding out if your idea will make it to the league of FB, Twitter etc.
- Does it solve a problem that is relevant and important to a customer?
- Does it cut costs, remove a significant barrier or create a significantly different capability?
- Will the idea be easy to adopt for the target customer, with low switching costs?
- Is the offer and benefit easy to understand, and easy to communicate?
- Is your idea protectable or defensible? Is there any intellectual property?
- Do you have concepts beyond product innovation? Can you extend your idea to service innovation, business model innovation or customer experience?
- Can you offer your idea at a price point where you make money?
- Can you scale your concept quickly? (Comment from me: Imagine the ecosystems that FB, Twitter and iPhone have created!)