Thursday, July 30, 2009

E2.0 Forces

I liked reading this post. A nice way of summarizing the WIIFM factors - the driving forces - when it comes to Enterprise 2.0 deployment! Learning, Impact (Performance), Recognition, Camaraderie and Compensation. Honestly, none of these points is a revelation - a surprise ingredient - as I happened to comment on the author's blog as well. But there's something nice about the way the post has been written, especially the introduction and the identification of two schools of thought.

Extending my thoughts on this topic a bit, most people are likely to be convinced to adopt E2.0 for the impact it has on their performance, for the potential recognition it might fetch them and contextual incentives and compensation declared by the organization. Ironically, people who come for the impact, recognition and money don't believe in giving as much as they do in taking. Arguably, people who adopt E2.0 for the learning and camaraderie are those who enjoy sharing/giving as much as they enjoy taking/using the knowledge others provide. And I believe this is exactly why promoters of E2.0 (or KM) take the extreme position of altruism based promotion or the opposite of it - because most people need to understand (altruism) or understand (we'll help you be selfish) this language respectively! What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unable to understand but what I understand is : Sharing is Caring.

Deepak Alse said...

I am yet to be convinced that human beings make transactional decisions based on multiple factors - Using an E2.0 tool is a transactional decision- People are neither altruists nor selfish..they simply expect that someone can and will gather the knowledge that they cant capture because they are too busy 'getting things done'...More at http://exploreamaze.wordpress.com/2009/07/30/e2-0-and-the-psychology-of-transactions/

Nimmy said...

Thanks for the comments folks!

Deepak,
I am intrigued by the Parent-Child-Adult transactional psychology - on your blog post! But I can't help wondering if the decision to use an E2.0 tool becomes transactional only after the initial - primary - decision to leverage on it is made....if you get my drift. Example: The fact that I decide to blog is not transactional...I want to blog because I like to write, I know I'll learn more, meet other thinkers etc. Once I decide to blog, whether I use a blogging tool and how often I use it or when I use it may however be transactional.....