Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Why Companies Exist


From frivolous efforts at charity and CSR, to more serious all-round investment in support of social issues/challenges. Not always successful but fragmented and continuous focus on going green, customer delight and employee engagement. 

Jargons like diversity, no discrimination and ombudsman, commercially motivated but inclusive ideas like intrapreneurship and crowd sourcing, to independent and near altruistic operations for enhancing the entrepreneurial ecosystem. 

Some organizations seem to have come a full moral circle but we still have text books that claim companies exist in order to make a profit.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Beats me.

But, isn't that the true purpose of existence of companies (NOT organizations)?

Anjali Koli said...

Comment on MS?

Nimmy said...

@Sreejith: :-))Well, We can decide what they exist for, can't we? Why let only economists and businessmen decide? :-D

Nimmy said...

@Sreejith: Also---clarification----I use Company and Organization interchangeably. Not right?

Nimmy said...

@Anjali: Bingo!!!

Unknown said...

Umm.. I don't think we can decide what they exist for, but yes, we can presume what they exist for. A wishful thinking though.

May be its my school of thought: Companies are product oriented, whose motive is maximizing revenue through sales, while organization is a more general term which could be product or service based (including NGO)

Nimmy said...

@Sreejith: What I mean is if I set up an organization (or company, in my jargon), I can decide what I want it to stand for, what its purpose is etc. There are a handful of companies that don't focus on profits but actually have a different purpose (Disney: To make People happy etc). Just because some economists defined organizations as entities that exist to make a profit, I need not limit myself to it and set up money making machines that don't care for people, environment etc. Not sure if I am able to convey my thoughts clearly enough....but I am a big fan of organizations that go beyond money and redefine themselves. These are the organizations that change the world, inspire their employees and customers and other stakeholders and feel good at the end of the day.

Nimmy said...

PS: Yes..Company is more of a "slang" term and may not be used while referring to NGOs etc. Agree.

Nimmy said...

RT @Valaafshar : Making money is a result. Making money is not about why you do, what you do. What do you believe matters most?