Friday, August 01, 2008

KM - Checklist

I like this post from Christian Young. Spot on. Agree with almost everything prescribed. This is a bit shameless, but, being a KMer, I myself ought to have written something like this a few years ago. Having said that, I don't want to be too hard on myself. Because, I did write a paper on my KM experiences and learnings after 2 years of fundamental but quite enlightening KM. In retrospect though, I think I should have written another paper on the same theme after putting in another 2-3 years. Rather, I found myself writing papers on potential KM concepts and concise frameworks for its implementation.

Anyway, had I made the effort to write another paper on my KM experiences and learnings, I am inclined to think that it would have been very similar to CY's post. Except a few significant differences, perhaps. I would have focused more on identifying and studying knowledge-intensive processes and then worked on effective creation/sharing/capture of knowledge as a by-product. And, I don't think I would equate managing KM to managing a product. I'd rather equate it to managing people and the environment. And, btw, managing is not a 'bad' word here. ;-) Managing = Understanding, Enabling, Providing, Supporting, Motivating etc...you get the drift?

2 comments:

Carnal Zen said...

Have you read Presence? It was the beginning of a move toward stewardship and collaborative leadership & a VERY worthwhile read

Nimmy said...

No CZ! :-( Peter Senge is a favourite....so, shame on me. But, well, better late than never!! Now that you've made me aware of it...I shall pick it up during my next visit to the Book Shop!! :)
Have a great Weekend! :)