Friday, August 17, 2007

Words of wisdom

Reading Swami Vivekananda's thoughts on "Work and its secret" (published by Advaita Ashrama, Kolkata). Some extracts:

"That man alone will be able to get the best of nature, who, having the power of attaching himself to a thing with all his energy, has also the power to detach himself when he should do so. The difficulty is that there must be as much power of attachment as that of detachment."


"We must learn that nothing can happen to us, unless we make ourselves susceptible to it"


"......you will find that every blow you have received, came to you because you prepared yourselves for it"


"I have no control of the external world, but that which is in me and nearer unto me, my own world, is in my control. If the two together are required to make a failure, if the two together are necessary to give me a blow, I will not contribute the one which is in my keeping; and how then can the blow come? If I get real control of myself, the blow will never come"


UPDATE: Thanks to MT for the info! Here's the online version of this book! :)

6 comments:

Vinod said...

Yes- U R THE ULTIMATUM - wat a true fact :) But still sometimes in life we believe outsside things - self doubt is the start of bad time for us and good time for the fortune tellers :) I'm back after my vaccation - and wat a gr8 trip it was - come watch the snaps :)

Alok said...

Good ones here ... i rem u asking me whthr I read Swami Vivekanand ... I do need to read him now

alok

Nimmy said...

hi V! :) saw some of the snaps last week. will check out the new ones soon! good to know you enjoyed the break! :)

alok: wow. i am sure you'll never ever regret your decision :)

M Taher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M Taher said...

Hi
Why not add this link to the guru's work, just-in-case it is the same text and context. [http://www.geocities.com/athens/olympus/5208/work.html]

Nimmy said...

thanks, MT! excellent! the link you've provided has everything that the small book i have has!