Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Unity in Diversity

I am not sure what's up...either I am not so very obsessed with blogging as to think of blogging everything that my mind even remotely processes or I am going through a phase akin to writer's block or I am so busy in my new environment and project that all I can think of is doing the project well and nothing else....

Anyways, here is something that I finally felt like blogging about. Diversity in teams...
I think diversity in teams is a rather interesting thing to study and observe. It comes with its package of advantages and disadvantages like all other things in the world. A diverse team that comprises team members who understand each other really well, are able to appreciate the value of conflicting and diverse viewpoints can perform wonders! And just the opposite with teams that can't for the life of them figure out why people think so different and that they (the others in the team) have to be wrong. Such a situation can be chaotic. It is worse than having a team with all people who are alike.... :)

Before a diverse team is formed, enough and more needs to be said to the team members and they ought to be trained about the specialties of a diverse team. A diverse team also needs a wonderful leader who can bring them together and make the most out of the situation and not waste any time (which is what would happen in a diverse but an uncontrolled and weak team)....Leadership would be a challenge and a pleasure in such a team....more importantly, perhaps, leadership in such a team will have to be very subtle at the same time. Maybe a Geese Flock like leadership system is what is required....people taking turns to lead....
What?

No comments: