Thursday, October 20, 2005

Eknath Easwaran...

A Thought for the Day From Sri Eknath Easwaran
----------------------------------------------

October 18

He that loveth, flieth, runneth, and rejoiceth. He is free, and
cannot be held in. He giveth all for all, and hath all in all,
because he resteth in one highest above all things, from whom
all that is good flows and proceeds. - Thomas a Kempis

This spring I watched six baby swallows learn how to fly. They
were huddled on the telephone wires observing their mother, who
came flying slowly by in front of them, doing the easier turns
and showing them the basics of flying. There was no need for
these baby swallows to read books or attend lectures on how to
fly. They have an inborn instinct for it. Learning to fly may not
be easy, but this is what birds are born to do.

The Lord sees us sitting on a perch made of pleasure, profit,
power, or prestige, quaking with every variation in our bank
account and every critical comment that comes our way; and he
asks us if we would not rather forget our failings, weaknesses,
and insecurities and become united with him.

This is what we are born to do: to leave our perch of selfish
interests and soar aloft. To soar to union with God means to give
all our love to the Lord, so that all the faculties and resources
which have been hidden in us can come into our lives to the great
benefit of those around us.

------------------------------------------------------
>From Eknath Easwaran, "Words to Live By" (Nilgiri Press, 1997)
http://www.nilgiri.org/Html/Thoughts/today.html

2 comments:

Life is Beautiful said...

Hello,

I am back again. I cannot stop replying from comments. I have read Meditation book by Eknath and it is a great book. With you posting i strongly believe you would have also read this book. Now i am in the process of reading his Bhagavad Gita book. Any idea on his book about upanishads ? The meditation book was suggested to me by an american lady in US

Thanks Karthik

Nimmy said...

Hello Again, Karthik! :-) Good to see your comments on so many posts! :-) I read Eknath's blog posts. I do have his book on the Gita but I am yet to read it. I have read other versions of the Gita though. I also got some more books by Eknath that I am yet to read...will surely keep you posted on my reactions when I get down to reading them.